Sisters in Crime Heart of Texas chapter (Austin) calls on all unpublished, aspiring writers of cozies, thrillers, true crime, noir, young adult, middle grade, and other mystery genres to submit the first 500 words of their mystery manuscript to the Barbara Burnett Smith Aspiring Writers Event (BBSAWE). Include a brief synopsis. Aspiring writers are chosen and matched with published author-mentors for one-on-one sessions and recognition at the BBSAWE in May of each year. The submission deadline is March 31, 2014.
This is not a contest – there is no judging and no fee. It is a wonderful opportunity for writers unpublished in the mystery field to be mentored by published authors and recognized by the Austin Sisters in Crime chapter. All aspiring writers MUST attend the Barbara Burnett Smith Aspiring Writers Event to be held Sunday, May 18, 2014, in Austin, Texas, at 2 p.m. at Recycled Reads, 5335 Burnet Rd., Austin, TX78756.
Please e-mail entries to Gale Albright at email@example.com
If you have questions about submission guidelines or other concerns, please contact Gale Albright at the above e-mail address.
- Unpublished writers submit by e-mail a 100 word (maximum) synopsis and the first 500 words of a mystery short story or novel.
- Entries should be in standard submission format: 12 point Times New Roman or Courier New font, double-spaced, with one-inch margins.
- Attach Word file document with the synopsis (100 word max) on first page. Please put your name, e-mail address, phone number, and title of story or novel in the top left-hand corner of first page. Start story/novel 500-word submission on second page. Put name, title, and page number on all pages.
- E-mail subject line: BBSAWE ENTRY
- One submission per person
- E-mail entries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submission deadline is March 31, 2014